The Pomperaug Regional School District 15 invites all school staff, parents and students to submit nominations for the 2016 District Teacher of the Year. Nomination forms are available online and in the main office of each school. The forms must be returned no later than 3:00 p.m. on Friday, May 15, 2015.
The nomination forms should be completed with a written narrative which discusses evidence in support of the candidate. The Selection committee has developed the following guidelines for considering nominations for Teacher of the Year:
• Demonstrated ability to inspire enthusiasm and motivation for learning in students.
• Demonstrated use of effective teaching techniques, flexibility of style, innovation, and creativity.
• Caring relationships with students.
• Demonstrated commitment to continuing professional growth and development.
• Respect and admiration of students, colleagues, parents and administration.
• Personal philosophy and goals.
• Ability to articulate ideas clearly.
• Community involvement.
These guidelines will represent general areas for consideration; it is not necessary for the candidate to possess special strengths in every area, since the selection will be based on a holistic assessment of the candidacy. In addition, The Region 15 Teacher of the Year nominees must be tenured teachers in our district (generally meaning the person has worked in Region 15 for four or more years) and have not received this award previously.
Each nomination is read by the selection committee and each member of the committee selects several choices they feel should be strongly considered. A detailed discussion prevails to allow the committee to gain a deep understanding of all the positive qualities each nominee demonstrates. Finally, the selection committee votes for the teacher it feels is the most deserving to receive this honor.
“Being nominated for this honor has proven to be a very positive experience for every teacher involved. Being the teacher selected by the committee for this honor and representing all of the high quality teachers in Region 15 is a tremendous compliment,” said Theresa Forish, Pomperaug Elementary School principal and chairperson of the Teacher of the Year committee.