During the 2015-2016 school year, the RMS Student Council has raised almost $5000 in cash through many events and projects.
- Most of the money came from three dances held for the 7th and 8th graders and two socials held for the 6th graders
- We had two bell-your-buddy events. While raising money, we increased school spirit by spreading holiday cheer in December and luck around St. Patrick’s Days.
- School spirit was also shown during our three pep rallies and two spirit week events
- To help out the community, we supported the American Red Cross by hosting a successful blood drive. Since we reached our goal, our principal bravely shaved his head at the annual March Madness event held at PHS.
- To support the Southbury Needy Fund, we organized a coat drive in the winter and a stuff-a-backpack drive during the month of June. We also donated the money collected from our penny wars competition to them.
- We supported the Southbury Food Bank by collecting cans and other non-perishable food items in a canned food drive.
In addition to supporting these organizations by donating goods and time, we sent monetary donations to various organizations. We decided to spread out the donations so people both locally and far away benefited.
- We sent $500 locally to the Southbury Needy Fund
- We helped those in our state by donating $250 to Connecticut Children’s Medical Center and $250 to Yale New Haven Hospital
- Nationally we donated $500 to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Internationally we donated $2000 to “Water for South Sudan” in Africa to help build a well so that people would have clean water
- Last year, the graduating 8th grade voted to save some of the money collected to put towards a new sound system for the RMS gym. We added more to that fund and now we have $3500.
Thanks to all the students at RMS, we had a very successful and profitable year.